
Uncover Taiwan's Hidden Gem: The Enchanting Black Forest You NEED to See!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups! You want a review of the MOST enchanting Black Forest in Taiwan? A hidden gem that NEEDS to be seen? Well, I’ve been there, I've breathed the air, I’ve eaten the – well, let's get to that – and here’s the real, unvarnished, totally-not-sponsored truth about this place. And trust me, it's a journey – just like the forest itself.
Uncover Taiwan's Hidden Gem: The Enchanting Black Forest You NEED to See! – A Review That’s (Maybe) More Forest Than Gem
First off, SEO? Yeah, yeah, let's check those boxes. We're talkin’: Taiwan Black Forest, Hotels Taiwan, Luxury Hotel Taiwan, Spa Resort Taiwan, Romantic Getaway Taiwan, Family Vacation Taiwan, Accessible Hotel Taiwan, Best Hotels Taiwan, Taiwan Travel, Things to Do Taiwan… Okay, I think we’re good. Now, let's get messy!
The Arrival & Initial Impressions (and My Inner Panic)
The drive up…oh boy, the drive. Think winding roads, misty mountains, and the unsettling feeling of, "Am I driving, or is the GPS plotting my demise?" (Just kidding! Mostly.) The accessibility? It was…a mixed bag. The car park [free of charge] was definitely helpful, but the actual navigating of the hotel with luggage? Let’s just say the elevator was a godsend. My initial impression was…stunning. Like, breath-taken-by-the-sheer-gorgeousness stunning. That view! (We’ll get back to that.)
Accessibility & Navigating the Maze:
This is a big one, especially if you, like me, appreciate a smooth transition. Facilities for disabled guests are, blessedly, there. Wheelchair accessible areas were clearly labeled (though some of the pathways were a little…bumpy). The elevator was clutch. And the staff? Super helpful when I inevitably needed a hand (usually because I'd gotten distracted by a particularly scenic vista and forgotten which direction I was going).
Rooms: My Personal Sanctuary (With a Few Quirks)
Okay, let's talk rooms. My room, thank goodness, was a non-smoking one – because, hello, Air conditioning! (Taiwan summers are brutal.) It had Air conditioning in public area too, which was a lifesaver. Now, the details! Blackout curtains? YES. Desk? Check. Laptop workspace? Absolutely. Free bottled water? ALWAYS a win. Wi-Fi? Let's get to the Wi-Fi because Available in all rooms is a thing. Internet access – wireless. It also had Internet access – LAN (for the old school gamers? Just kidding). I was able to comfortably work from my room, which was an added plus. The mirror was perfect for admiring my fabulous hotel-wear. The Closet and Ironing facilities are helpful too for me. The Seating area offers a comfortable space to relax. The Separate shower/bathtub allows for showering in the morning and a relaxing bath at night. I even had a Refrigerator for personal snacks and drinks.
The bathroom itself was fine, your basic stuff. The hot water linen and laundry washing option would have been super useful, if I brought more than 2 clothes! The bathrobes were an absolute delight (silly, I know, but I love a good bathrobe). The slippers and towels are a must. They even thought of the little things: complimentary tea. And, of course, a safety/security feature. I'm a sucker for a wake-up service though. The interconnecting room(s) available would be amazing if I came with friends! The only downside? The in-room coffee maker was one of those pod-style machines, and I DESPISE those, I prefer the normal filter coffee.
Dining, Drinking, & Snacking: Where the Forest Met…My Appetite (and Sometimes Disappointed It)
Okay, here's where things get…interesting. The Restaurants were plentiful. Asian breakfast was the standard. The coffee/tea in restaurant was great, not perfect, not terrible. I had a western breakfast as well. The Bar was a welcome sight after a day of hiking (or, you know, napping).
Now, the real excitement! Let’s talk FOOD. I'm a bit of a foodie, so this was important. The Asian cuisine in restaurant was good, but not mind-blowing. The International cuisine in restaurant was a solid choice. I enjoyed a salad in restaurant and soup in restaurant. They had a menu that was a combination of A la carte in restaurant, and buffet in restaurant. Don’t get me wrong, the bottle of water was always there. Room service? Room service [24-hour]. Perfect for those late-night cravings. They offered alternative meal arrangement. There was a Happy hour. They had a poolside bar. The coffee shop was good too. I had a desserts in restaurant. They even have a vegetarian restaurant!
The biggest letdown? The "Black Forest" themed desserts. They were…fine. Pretty to look at, but the flavor was a bit…meh. (I’d envisioned a chocolate explosion of epic proportions, with cherries bursting like tiny fireworks. Instead, it was more of a polite firecracker.)
Spa & Relaxing: My Moment of Bliss (and the Occasional Tickle Fight)
Okay, now we're talking. This is what I came for. And it mostly delivered.
The Swimming pool [outdoor] was gorgeous, with an unreal Pool with view. They have a Spa/sauna, which I loved. The Sauna itself was nice, but it wasn't a true Finnish sauna (I'm being nitpicky, I know). You could get a Massage – and that was heaven. I tried the Body scrub and Body wrap to go full vacation mode. They have a Steamroom, which I used to the fullest.
The Fitness center was there (I glanced at it. I’m on vacation, people!). They even had a Foot bath to relax.
My favorite part? The couples massage room. The soft music, the aromatherapy, the deep tissue… pure bliss. My masseuse was amazing. I fell asleep and woke up feeling like a brand-new person, I felt amazing.
Cleanliness & Safety: Because, You Know, That’s Important
Let's be real – this is paramount now. And, to their credit, they took it seriously. You could tell. The hand sanitizer was everywhere. Daily disinfection in common areas. The staff was masked, and smiling (you could tell in their eyes!). The rooms sanitized between stays. The Anti-viral cleaning products. They even offered a room sanitization opt-out available for eco-conscious folks (which I always appreciate). Professional-grade sanitizing services were obvious. The Safe dining setup. Sanitized kitchen and tableware items. They even had Individually-wrapped food options. Staff trained in safety protocol. Physical distancing of at least 1 meter. A lot of effort was put here, and I felt safe.
Services & Conveniences: Functionality & Frills
Cashless payment service, yay! Concierge, very helpful. Daily housekeeping, thank goodness. Dry cleaning, if you need it. Elevator, as I mentioned before. This is where I noticed the more luxurious flourishes like the luggage storage. They have a mini bar too, for snacks and drinks. The Laundry service saved me. They also did have a Gift/souvenir shop so I could bring something back home! Plus Air conditioning in public area. The Contactless check-in/out was a breeze. The Invoice provided. The Front desk [24-hour] always helped. They had facilities for disabled guests. They even give essential condiments.
I noticed they also offered things like Business facilities like Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Seminars, and Audio-visual equipment for special events. A lot of the services they offered, weren’t really used since I went to relax, but I still appreciated the thought. They had a Babysitting service and were Family/child friendly.
Things to Do: Beyond the Black Forest (Maybe Even In it!)
The hotel offered plenty of activities, from hiking trails (duh!) to…well, more hiking trails. Exploring the Black Forest itself is the main draw. The views were amazing, and the air was crisp. For the kids they had Kids facilities and even a Kids meal. The hotel itself had a Shrine. Bicycle parking was available too. Car park [on-site] and Car park [free of charge] was available. There was a Convenience store too, if you forget something. Currency exchange was easy to use. They offered a Car power charging station.
Uncover Baan Ploy's Thai Secrets: Luxury You Won't Believe!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because this isn't your grandma's perfectly polished travel itinerary. This is the Black Forest of Taiwan, and we're hacking through the jungle, one questionable noodle stall at a time. Let's go!
Taiwan Black Forest: A Messy, Beautiful Adventure (Prepare for Chaos!)
Day 1: Taipei - The Great Awakening (and Jet Lag Fury)
- 8:00 AM (ish): Arrive at Taoyuan International Airport (TPE). Oh Sweet Jesus, the humanity. After 15 hours crammed into a metal tube, my brain feels like scrambled eggs. Immigration – check. Luggage carousel – praying it works. Finding the shuttle bus to the hotel… uh oh, lost my phone. Panic mode activated. Found it! Phew.
- 10:00 AM: Check into Hotel "The Cozy Nest" (hopefully it lives up to its name). Finally. Shower. Sleep. Repeat. But wait, the bed is like, suspiciously firm. Future back pain is already whispering sweet nothings.
- 12:00 PM: Lunch at Din Tai Fung (Xinyi Branch). The holy grail of soup dumplings. The line snakes around the block, so I have a mental debate: Is this worth it? YES. Worth it, absolutely. Xiao Long Bao bliss. Seriously, these things defy gravity. I could weep with joy. (And probably will, tbh. Jet lag.) But, the server clearly saw my struggle, so I asked for extra chili oil and he smiled!
- 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Wander aimlessly through Xinyi District. High-end shops – yawn. (But hey, the architecture is kind of amazing.) Taipei 101? The line is a mile long. Hard pass. Actually, I got hopelessly lost. Found a random alleyway, got the best mango shaved ice and that's something.
- 6:00 PM: Night Market Exploration (Shilin Night Market, of course). Oh. My. God. The smells! The sights! The sheer amount of street food! Deep-fried squid tentacles. Stinky tofu (I bravely tried it. Let's just say it's an experience.) Bubble tea, obviously. The crowds are insane. Lost my friend. Again. Found her again!
- 9:00 PM: Collapse in bed. I'm pretty sure my feet are going to fall off. Jet lag, you win.
Day 2: Taipei - Temples, Tea, and Unexpected Tears
- 9:00 AM: Wake up (eventually). Caffeine is my best friend. Strong coffee is vital.
- 10:00 AM: Visit Longshan Temple. Finally! Something that isn't a shopping mall or a queue for dumplings. The architecture is stunning, the incense is fragrant, and the atmosphere is genuinely peaceful. Watched people making their wishes, and it's just… beautiful. I felt like I was witnessing a secret, a quiet conversation between humans and something bigger. Tears, people. Silent tears. (Probably from being sleep-deprived and overwhelmed, but whatever.)
- 12:00 PM: Lunch at a local noodle shop (somewhere near the temple). Found a place packed with locals – always a good sign. The noodles are ridiculously cheap and unbelievably delicious. But, I can't read the menu. Pointed at a picture. Success! (Except I accidentally ordered the spicy version. Worth it, even if my mouth feels like a volcano.)
- 2:00 PM: Tea Ceremony at Wistaria Tea House. A serene escape from the chaos of the city. The tea is exquisite, the ambiance is calming. I, a tea newbie, felt like I was learning something… the art of stillness, maybe? Or maybe just how to slurp tea politely. I failed.
- 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Explore the National Palace Museum. Too much art. I got overwhelmed by the sheer scope of it. (Sorry, history!) Found a very comfortable bench, and people-watched instead of looking at ancient vases.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner at a restaurant I can't quite remember the name of (but it had dumplings!).
- 8:00 PM: Contemplating life whilst watching the bus going to the hotel.
- 9:00 PM: More bed, Please.
Day 3: Yilan County - Coastal Chaos and Forest Frolics
- 8:00 AM: Train to Yilan County. The scenery is gorgeous. But who thought that an hour-long train ride needs this many selfies?!
- 10:00 AM: Check into a B&B near Jiaoxi Hot Spring. Finally, fresh air! The B&B is charming, and the owner is ridiculously friendly.
- 11:00 AM: Jiaoxi Hot Spring. The public bath is a bit, um, communal. No clothes are involved. I panicked and retreated to a private outdoor spa. Heaven. The water is so hot. Pure relaxation. Also, I saw a man with the most incredible back hair. Honestly, it was a nature documentary.
- 1:00 PM: Lunch: Yilan's famous scallion pancakes. Greasy, delicious, and the perfect fuel for the afternoon's adventures.
- 2:00 PM: Hiking in the Taipingshan National Forest Recreation Area. Okay, this is where it gets real. The air is crisp, the trees are magnificent, and the trails are… challenging. I almost died on a steep incline. (Exaggeration, maybe.) But the views are worth it. Absolutely. Stunning. I felt more alive than I’ve felt in ages.
- 5:00 PM: Eat at a roadside food stall, watching the sunset!
- 6:00 PM: Dinner in Jiaoxi. Found a restaurant serving local specialties. Tried the pig's knuckles. The smell was not the best, and I thought I got food poisoning (I didn't).
- 7:00 PM: Another hot spring soak. This time, I'm not scared!
- 8:00 PM: Sleep. A hard-earned sleep.
Day 4: Sun Moon Lake – Tourist Trap or True Beauty?
- 8:00 AM: Train to Taichung. The train is late. (It's starting to feel like this is how things works here.)
- 10:00 AM: Bus to Sun Moon Lake. Beautiful scenery. The bus driver drives like a maniac. Praying is helpful.
- 11:00 AM: Check into a motel near the lake. Cute. But still no bath, sad.
- 12:00 PM: Lunch at a place serving fish.
- 1:00 PM: Take a boat tour of Sun Moon Lake. It's undeniably beautiful. The scenery is exactly how you imagine. The tour guide is telling the same jokes as everyone else for years and years. Everyone's taking photos. I am not doing so many photos.
- 3:00 PM: Explore Ci'en Pagoda. More steps! My legs are screaming for mercy. The view from the top is breathtaking. (Though, again, very touristy.)
- 5:00 PM: Cycle along the lake (renting a bike). This is a good idea. Finally some proper exercise! The air is fresh, and the path is mostly flat. Then I fell off the bike. It did hurt.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner near the lake. Trying the local shan zhu (mountain pork). Delicious.
- 8:00 PM: Looking at the lake, sitting on a bench.
- 11:00 PM: sleep.
Day 5: Departure (and lingering memories of stinky tofu)
- 9:00 AM: Last breakfast, local style.
- 10:00 AM: Travel to TPE, and check in.
- 12:00 PM: Bye Bye Taiwan.
Important Notes (aka, the Real Truth):
- Embrace the Chaos: Things will go wrong. You will get lost. You will struggle with the language. That's part of the fun.
- Eat Everything: Seriously. Even the things that look a little questionable.
- Learn a Few Phrases: "Ni hao" (hello), "Xie xie" (thank you), "Bu hao yi si" (excuse me) will get you far.
- Don't Be Afraid to Ask for Help: People in Taiwan are incredibly friendly and helpful.

Uncover Taiwan's Hidden Gem: The Enchanting Black Forest - You NEED to See! (And Probably Will Mess Up Like I Did)
So, What *IS* This "Black Forest" Anyway? Is It Actually BLACK?
Where *Exactly* is This Magical Place? And How Hard Is It to Get There? (Because I'm Lazy.)
What Should I Pack? (Besides My Sanity)
Okay, I'm There! What Can I *DO* in This Forest? Besides, you know, "look" at it?
What's the Best Time to Visit? Is there a "Worst" Time?

