
Unbelievable Shaoxing Hostel: Luxun's Legacy Awaits!
Unbelievable Shaoxing Hostel: Luxun's Legacy Awaits! - A Review You Actually Want to Read (Because Let's Be Real, Hotel Reviews Can Be SO BORING)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I'm about to spill the tea, the Shaoxing tea, on the Unbelievable Shaoxing Hostel: Luxun's Legacy Awaits! I'm fresh off a stay, and let me tell you, the legacy is definitely… there. And by "there," I mean it's subtly woven through the experience, like a good Shaoxing wine – takes a bit to appreciate, but then BAM, you're hooked.
First Impressions (and a Mild Panic About Directions):
Honestly, finding the place was a minor adventure. GPS had a field day, circling me past charming alleyways and what I think were ancient spirit gates (seriously, China is intense). But hey, this is Shaoxing, not your cookie-cutter tourist trap, right? The hostel itself, once I FINALLY spotted it, was a breath of fresh air. A sleek, modern building nestled amongst traditional architecture. The exterior corridor gives it a cool, slightly retro vibe, and I'm always a sucker for that.
(Accessibility) - Gotta Talk About This First, Because… It Matters:
Alright, let's get real. Accessibility is NOT always a given, and I appreciate the effort here. While I didn't use a wheelchair myself, I poked around and found a good amount of wheelchair accessible facilities, including the elevator which is a total godsend. There’s clearly an effort to make it comfortable for everyone, which I rate BIG TIME. They've got facilities for disabled guests, too. So, thumbs up on that front! It’s worth checking specifics with the hostel directly, just to be sure, of course.
The Room – My Personal Sanctuary (and My Battle with Blackout Curtains):
My room! Oh, my room. Let's just say I opted for a non-smoking room (smart move!). It was clean (thank you, daily housekeeping!), and the air conditioning was a LIFESAVER. The bed was comfy, and let me tell you, the extra long bed was a win for this tall gal. They have all the usual suspects, air conditioning, desk, mini bar for treats and drinks, a safe (always good to have!), slippers, and yes, the glorious hair dryer. BUT… the blackout curtains! My nemesis! They almost worked. Seriously, I wrestled with those things every morning. The intensity of the light. You want to sleep until noon? Nope! It’s a battle. But, I survived. And there were thoughtful touches like the wake-up service, a reading light, and free bottled water. They also have internet access - wireless with FREE Wi-Fi in all rooms!. No more struggling to find the password.
(Internet, Internet [LAN], Internet services, Wi-Fi in public areas) – Staying Connected (and the occasional lag):
The Wi-Fi was pretty solid, generally, a real important bit with the amount of content I need to consume. Internet access – LAN was also available, in case you're old school. The Wi-Fi in public areas was decent too, perfect for a quick scroll or sending a postcard back home (yes, I still do that!). I even managed a few video calls to my family, and the connection only cut out twice (blame the Great Firewall, not the hostel!).
Things to Do – Adventures and Relaxation (and a little bit of jet lag):
Shaoxing is FILLED with history and culture. This hostel is a fantastic base to explore. Things to do lists are all over the place, but you're in Luck’s old neighborhood! The surrounding areas are full of charming old waterways and historic houses. I wandered the backstreets, took a boat ride, and felt like I was stepping back in time (minus the questionable sanitation of the past, thank goodness!)
Ways to Relax… Yeah, Okay, I Tried (Spa Time!):
Okay, so I’m typically a “go-go-go” kind of traveler, but even I needed a little pampering. The hostel boasts a spa and promises massage! I checked it out. It wasn't a full-blown five-star spa experience, but it was clean, soothing (especially after the jet lag kicked in), and the masseuses knew what they were doing. I opted for a classic massage (the Body scrub was tempting, but I chickened out), and it was divine. Seriously, I almost fell asleep right there. And let’s be honest, a sauna and steamroom is a good idea, and the pool with view is great as well. Fitness center to work out, but I’m pretty sure I slept more than lifted.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking – Fueling the Fun (or the Food Coma):
The dining experience was… interesting. The restaurants offer a mix of Asian cuisine and International cuisine, and I have to say their version of a burger was surprisingly good. They had an Asian breakfast and a Western breakfast, and the breakfast [buffet] was pretty decent, but the coffee was … well, it was coffee. I definitely made good use of the coffee/tea in restaurant. The poolside bar was a fun place to grab a drink. The Snack bar and the bottle of water were lifesavers in between meals. There are restaurants with salad in restaurant and soup in restaurant as well. Overall, it had a lot of dining options.
(Cleanliness and safety) – Making Me Feel Less Germophobic (Mostly):
This is SUPER important right now. The hostel, in my experience, takes things seriously. I saw signs of the Anti-viral cleaning products use. They also had hand sanitizer stations everywhere. It was reassuring. I mean, who doesn't want to feel safe? They really seemed to care about the overall health. They also mention Individually-wrapped food options and Sanitized kitchen and tableware items. Even the thought is good thing!
Services and Conveniences – The Little Things That Make a Big Difference:
They have a lot of stuff! From the concierge to dry cleaning (essential after a particularly messy dumpling incident), to luggage storage, they've thought of most things. Cash withdrawal is available, which is handy. They offer food delivery and the convenience store is perfect for grabbing snacks and essentials. I loved that they have daily housekeeping, which is always a plus. the doorman was useful as well! The elevator was a bonus.
For the Kids – Family-Friendly Vibes (and Babysitting!):
While I don't have kids, I saw plenty of families, and the hostel seemed very accommodating. They have babysitting, which is a HUGE win for parents who want a little "me time." They also offer family/child friendly options. They even had kids meals!
Getting Around – Navigating the City (and Avoiding Taxi Scams):
They offer airport transfer, which is always a good idea, especially if you're arriving late or are feeling a bit disoriented. They also have a car park [free of charge], which is great if you're driving. They will help with a taxi service too. Be prepared, though – taxis in China can be an adventure (some are legit. Some… less so).
The Imperfections – Because Life Isn't Perfect (And That's Okay):
Okay, I'm not going to lie, nothing is perfect. The Wi-Fi dropped a few times. The coffee could have been stronger. The blackout curtains fought me. And the language barrier (my Mandarin is… non-existent.) was sometimes challenging. But honestly? These are minor quibbles. They added to the experience. It was all part of the adventure.
Final Verdict – Would I Go Back? (Spoiler Alert: YES!)
Absolutely. Unbelievable Shaoxing Hostel: Luxun's Legacy Awaits! is a solid choice. It's clean, comfortable, well-located, and the staff is generally friendly and helpful (even with my terrible attempt at Mandarin). The spa, the location, and the overall vibe make it a winner. It's not perfect, but its imperfections add to its charm. And that’s what makes it…well, unbelievable.
Here’s My Offer – Book Now and Unlock Your Shaoxing Adventure!
Ready to explore the ancient waterways and embrace the legacy of Luxun? Book your stay at Unbelievable Shaoxing Hostel: Luxun's Legacy Awaits! today and receive:
- Complimentary Upgrade (If Available): We'll do our best to score you a better room!
- Free Breakfast for Two: Fuel your adventures with a delicious start to your day!
- 10% Discount on Spa Treatments: Relax, unwind, and rejuvenate in the heart of Shaoxing!
- **A Secret

Okay, buckle up buttercups! Because this ain't your grandma's travel itinerary. This is a messy, emotional, probably-won't-follow-it-exactly-but-here's-the-gist-of-it, Shaoxing Luxun Native Place International Youth Hostel adventure plan. And trust me, it’s going to be a ride.
Shaoxing Shenanigans: My Messy, Beautiful Chaos
Day 1: Arrival and the Great Noodles of Doom (And Delight!)
- 14:00 - ARRIVAL (hopefully). Listen, I'm flying in from… well, let's just say it's a long haul. The flight is probably delayed. Airlines. Ugh. My luggage is probably going to spend a vacation in Dubai while I'm trying to navigate Shaoxing in the same slightly-worn jeans I left in.
- 15:00 - Check-in at the Hostel! Oh, the Luxun Native Place International Youth Hostel. I've heard whispers. Cozy rooms, maybe some dodgy wifi… but hopefully, enough charm to distract me from the jetlag. The view from the room better be inspirational, or I'm gonna start writing angry poetry.
- 16:00 - Noodle Quest! Okay, this is CRUCIAL. I've spent weeks drooling over pictures of Shaoxing's noodles. Like, actual, proper, street-food style noodles. Finding a genuinely good noodle shop is the number one rule. No tourist traps! I'm envisioning a spicy, umami-bomb of a bowl. (Side note: I'm terrible with chopsticks. Pray for me.)
- 18:00 - Lost in Translation (Probably). Wandering around, getting disorientated on purpose. The best way to find the hidden gems, right? I predict lots of pointing, confused smiles, and accidental purchases. I'm on the lookout for a local tea shop. And a translator app, just in case. A little fear never hurt anyone.
- 19:00 - Dinner and the Great Noodle Revelation (or Disaster). Back to noodles. This is it. The moment of truth. Will it be a culinary triumph, a so-delicious-I-weep experience? Or a bland, forgettable disappointment? I'm prepared for either. (Mostly. If it's bad, I'm blaming the jetlag).
- 20:00 - Attempt at Relaxation and Sleep. The best plan to fight jetlag is sleep. I’ll give it a shot and let my system adapt to the crazy time difference. The challenge will be to turn off my brain, which could be a problem after all the adventure.
Day 2: Luxun's Legacy and the River of Dreams (and Smelly Tofu?)
- 09:00 - Breakfast Panic! Okay, I've heard hostel breakfasts are either amazing or… not. I'm hoping for amazing. Coffee is a MUST. If they don't have decent coffee, I'm staging a revolt. A caffeine-fueled one.
- 10:00 - Luxun's Native Place. Alright, time to get cultured! I'm genuinely excited to visit the former residence of Lu Xun, a literary giant (apparently). Hoping to actually understand some of his work, and maybe even feel a flicker of inspiration. The atmosphere should be interesting.
- 12:00 - Lunch & Street Food Exploration. Shaoxing is famous for snacks. I'M HUNGRY. Definitely trying the fermented tofu. I have no idea if I'll actually like it. But the thrill of potential disgust is part of the fun. I can't wait to see how I get my first impression.
- 14:00 - River Cruise on the Ancient Canals. I'm imagining gentle breezes, picturesque scenery… and the distinct possibility of getting horribly seasick. (I get motion sickness.) Hopefully, the view will distract me. This will be the perfect atmosphere for my first impression of Shaoxing.
- 16:00 - More wandering, shopping, and trying my bargaining skills I want to bring some gifts to my friends and family. I still have a lot to learn.
- 19:00 - Dinner in a local restaurant. Hoping to find somewhere that has a good recommendation from the locals. Trying something different, a local specialty.
- 20:00 - More exploration in the night. Probably not going out until very late, just for the sake of safety.
- 21:00 - Back to the hostel for some relaxation and enjoy the night.
Day 3: The Unexpected and the Departure of Despair
- 09:00 - One Last Breakfast and the Great Hostel Verdict. Did I love it? Did I hate it? Or, more likely, did I have a slightly-above-average, but ultimately forgettable breakfast? Either way, I'm taking notes for future hostels.
- 10:00 - Free Time. Either revisiting a favorite spot, buying souvenirs, or getting completely lost again (probably). I'm embracing the spontaneity. No structure.
- 12:00 - Last Lunch in Shaoxing. One last, delicious bite before I leave. Making it count! I'm thinking, perhaps, a repeat of that glorious noodle dish.
- 13:00 - Packing up. The sad task. Time to collect all my souvenirs and take a picture of my room.
- 14:00 - Departure. Farewell Shaoxing! It's been… an experience.
- 18:00 - Arrival back in the airport, safe and sound.
Additional Ramblings:
- The Language Barrier: My Mandarin is non-existent. I'm relying heavily on hand gestures, Google Translate, and sheer luck. I'm anticipating MANY funny moments.
- The Food: I'm a total foodie. I'm going to eat everything. Everything! Even if it looks questionable. Especially if it looks questionable.
- The People: I'm hoping to meet some locals, have some real conversations, and learn about the culture. One of the best parts about traveling.
- The Unexpected: Something always goes wrong. I'm fully prepared for it. Embrace the chaos!
So there you have it. My almost-but-not-quite-a-plan for Shaoxing. I reserve the right to completely deviate from this at any time. Now wish me luck! And maybe send snacks.
Tyrwhitt Rosebank: South Africa's BEST Kept Secret? (You NEED to See This!)
Unbelievable Shaoxing Hostel: Luxun's Legacy Awaits! – The Messy Truth
So, you're thinking about Unbelievable Shaoxing Hostel? Good luck, you'll need it (kidding... mostly!). Here's some real talk, straight from someone who’s been there, done that, and probably left a sock behind. Prepare for the rollercoaster!
Okay, "Unbelievable"... Really? Is this place actually *that* incredible?
Look, "unbelievable" is doing some *serious* heavy lifting in that title. Let's dial back the hype just a smidge. It's not like you're stumbling into the Garden of Eden. But! It *is* pretty darn cool. Imagine a hostel that's practically bursting with character – think faded grandeur meets quirky charm. The Luxun connection is legit. You’re literally breathing the same air (probably not Luxun's exact air, mind you... it's been a while). But is it flawless? Oh, heavens no.
Picture this: I arrived at dusk after a *grueling* train journey. Tired, sweaty, and craving a shower. The entrance? Well, let's just say it wasn't exactly highlighted with neon arrows. The first impression? Slightly… *rustic*. Inside, it was a maze! Half the fun (and frustration) was trying to figure out where the heck my room was. I swear, I walked past the same wall *three* times before finally finding the stairs. But hey, that's part of the *charm*, right? Or, at least, that's what I kept repeating to myself while dragging my suitcase up a flight of stairs older than my grandma.
What about the rooms? Are they actually… comfortable?
Comfortable? Now, that depends on your definition of "comfortable." We're not talking five-star luxury here. Think… charmingly basic. My room? It was small, definitely. But it had a weird, almost *cosy* vibe. The bed? Surprisingly decent! I've slept on worse (much worse). The bathroom… well, it was an experience. The shower pressure? Let’s just say a strong breeze could probably do more damage. But it was clean, which is a HUGE win in my book.
Then there was the air conditioning (or lack thereof). I went in summer, and let's just say it was… warm. Like, *really* warm. I ended up sleeping with the window open, which meant… the lovely sounds of Shaoxing at *all* hours. Which, okay, was actually kinda cool. The clatter of chopsticks, the distant singing… you felt *immersed*. Unless you value sleep, which I do… usually.
Seriously, is it *clean*? That’s my main concern!
Cleanliness is a huge deal, I get it. And honestly? The Unbelievable Shaoxing Hostel does a *pretty* good job. Considering it's a historic building, it's remarkably tidy. The common areas were generally well-maintained. My room was definitely clean when I arrived. There were a few… *minor* imperfections (a little dust here, a stray hair there), but nothing that made me want to run screaming into the streets. The staff kept things relatively spick-and-span, which is more than I can say for some places I've stayed.
But let's be real. It's not sterile. It *feels* old. It *smells* old (in a good way, mostly, like old books and history). If you're terrified of a little bit of… character, maybe this isn't the place. But if you’re okay with a bit of patina, you'll be fine.
The location? Is it easy to get around?
The location is… good, actually! Right in the heart of the old town! Fantastic for exploring! Easy access to Luxun's former residence (duh), the river, and all the amazing Shaoxing snacks. You can wander around, get lost, and discover hidden gems. The downside? Walking to the train station isn't *exactly* a breeze. I took a taxi (highly recommended).
Another thing: be prepared for some serious crowds, especially during peak season. Shaoxing is popular, and the hostel is smack-dab in the middle of it all. You'll be jostling with people, dodging selfies, and probably muttering under your breath. Again… charm!
What's the vibe like? Is it a party hostel?
Absolutely NOT a party hostel. Thank goodness. More of a… chilled-out, slightly intellectual vibe. Think relaxed conversations, maybe a bit of book-reading, and the occasional quiet game of cards. You're more likely to hear the gentle murmur of discussions about Luxun than thumping bass.
I met some really interesting people there. A couple of history buffs, a guy who looked like he'd stepped straight out of a Hemingway novel, and a very enthusiastic (and slightly loud) Australian woman who was absolutely obsessed with the Shaoxing wine. (I ended up joining her for a tasting. Let's just say it was… an *experience*.) This place is for travelers who actually want to, you know, *travel* and have a conversation.
The staff? Helpful and friendly?
Okay, this is where Unbelievable *really* redeems itself. The staff? Seriously awesome. They were incredibly helpful the entire time. They spoke English (which, in my experience, isn't always a given in China), and they were super patient with my terrible Mandarin. I needed help finding a decent noodle place? Sorted. Had a train delay nightmare? They helped me sort it out. They were just… *genuinely* nice. No fake smiles, just genuine warmth. That, for me, makes all the difference. I've stayed at hostels where the staff seemed to actively *dislike* guests. Not here. They felt like friends.
One time I locked myself out of my room (don't judge). They were there in minutes, grinning and apologetic about my clumsy mistake. They even helped me carry my bags when I left. Total saints, I tell you!
What amenities are available at the hostel?
The amenities? Well, again, keep the expectations realistic. There's free Wi-Fi (which, let’s be honest, fluctuates in speed). There's a common area where you can hang out, read, or chat with other guests. There might be cooking facilities, and I think there were laundry services. But honestly, I didn't use any of them. I was too busy exploring!
The best amenity, for me, was the location. Being able to walk out the door and be *right there* in the middle of all the action? Priceless. The location is, seriously, key. If you are looking for a place with all the bells and whistles and a swimming pool, this is not it. If you are looking for a place to experience Shaoxing deeply, it's amazing.

